Saturday, June 2, 2012

From the mouths of babes

I have vowed to start writing down all the funny things Henry is saying these days.  He cracks me up.

He enjoys making up words.  His favorites right now are "bar bar" and "corbles".  I have no clue what these are or what he thinks they mean.  He just says them and then I act all exasperated and shocked and he laughs and laughs. 

Shopping
He is obsessed with Target.  His sitter, Mary, took him and his buddy Jack to Target one day to get birdseed and he talks about it all the time.  "Mom, go to Target and buy birdseed?"  We go there probably twice a week.
We'll start out in the cart, but by the end of the trip he's helping me push and being pretty well-behaved most of the time.  Although, he's starting to get really bossy.  If he's in the cart and he's not enjoying what I'm shopping for, he'll say, "Mom, turn around!  This way!" 
We were there the other day and getting ready to leave and I said we needed to go check out.
He gives me the most serious look and says, "No mommy.  Let's keep shopping."  That's my boy!

Riding to the sitter one day, I hear from the back, "Mom, I NEED new shoes."

For some reason, he is still not on board with the splash pad this year.  He loves the pool and the beach, but seems to be intimidated by the splash pad.
We're walking up one day, I've got him all slathered in sunscreen and ready to go and he starts freaking out.
"I don't like the fountains!  I want Starbucks!"  (there's a Starbucks close by)  Well, ok then.
We tried again another day, thinking it would be different.
"I don't like the fountains!  I eat my snack!"  Finally after watching the other kids playing for 20 minutes, I ask him if he wants to go shopping and look at the fire hydrants on the sidewalk.
"Yes!!"

Money
"Mom, let's go to the bank and get some money out."
Finds a coin on the floor, "Here's a coin just for YOU mommy!"
Finds my Lowe's card in my wallet, "Mom, tractor store card!"

Magic
We read a Mickey Mouse Halloween book every night despite it being June.  Mickey is dressed up as a magician.  So, Henry likes to interject magic words into everyday life.
Henry loads dirt in his dump truck.  "Tada!"
Henry demands apple sauce.  "What's the magic word?" I ask.  "Abracadabra!" he says.
Henry waves a tree branch in the air.  "Hocus pocus!"

Bedtime
He will do anything for Coke.  ANYTHING.  Forget wine tasting.  Try Coke tasting.  He drinks it so slowly, savoring it, swishing it around in his mouth.
During the transition to the big boy bed, that was the only way we could get him to stay in his bed during the night.  Straight up Coca-cola bribery.  We haven't mentioned it in a couple weeks now since he's sleeping well.  But, oh how they remember.
"I sleep all night in my bed and I get sip of Coke!!  But too much coke...tummy ache (rubs stomach)."

One of us will read him a story and then we lay with him for like 5 minutes or so.  One night after his story, he turns to Marc and says, "Dad, it's time to get cozy."  We don't call it bedtime anymore.  We call it cozy time.

That's all I can think of for now.  I'm sure I will be adding more!

Love,
Lyndsey

No comments: