Sunday, September 26, 2010

Soaking up the local color

Every year there are so many fun things to do once fall rolls around. Mind you, it's a little more challenging when it's still 95 degrees out, but we make it work.

A couple Saturdays ago, we decided to head up to Latta Plantation to walk around and check out the farm animals. We pull up and here this loud "boom" as soon as we get out of the car. Little did we know, it's the day of the Revolutionary War re-enactment! We had got there right as the British and American's had finished their battle.

So, Marc, being the epitome of cool (heehee) decided that he felt a little bit dorky, but me, being the complete opposite of cool, was pumped! I changed my major to History for a semester in college, so I consider myself somewhat of a history buff. History buff meaning I enjoy watching the History Channel occasionally when there is nothing on Food Network, Bravo, or HGTV.

Everybody was dressed up in period costume and acting the part. There was a blacksmith, knitters, soldiers, cooks, ax throwers (I didn't understand this one), slaves, farmers...the whole bit. I walked into the little kitchen building where the cook was watching over his fire. I felt like I was walking back in time, until I noticed the Harris Teeter brand jar of relish sitting at his table. C'mon man, you blew it!

Taking a picture by the Conestoga wagon. He wasn't really having it.
Whatever happened to the Oregon Trail game by the way? Loved the game, even though I always died of dysentery.


The next weekend, we decided to give the Cabarrus County Fair a try. It was actually a lot of fun! They had a huge petting zoo inside one of the warehouse buildings.

Inside animals=no bugs=awesome. Henry's still a little young to care about any of the animals. He just likes people the best. He liked flirting with all the little girls hanging around.


Lots of old school John Deere's hanging around.


The carousel went a little faster and the horse went a little higher than I thought.
Whoa! I'm such a wimp with rides.

Thank God we didn't get the scary carnie in the picture.
You know, the constant yelling and antagonizing as I walk by your booth isn't going to make me want to spend $30 on a huge, over-stuffed Scooby Doo. Lay off carnie. Keep your small hands where I can see them.
I entered Henry in a diaper derby. This is basically a race on a mat where they crawl from one end to the next. He started out strong, got in his crawling stance....and stayed there. My hopes were dashed. His first attempt at sports, ruined. Until the lady came up to me and said since there were a total of 3 babies in the race and he was the only baby in his age group, he won. Yay!
I knew it was time to go when I saw a shirtless man eating a corn dog. Can anything top that?
Love,
Lyndsey, Marc, Henry, & Betsy

No comments: